Skip to main content

Linux - VIM as Integrated Development Environment (IDE)

In this post I would like to present you my configuration of vim text editor as Integrated Development Environment (IDE).

In my daily work I am not using big IDE environments like Eclipse, NetBeans or other. Instead, I am using vim text editor configured with number of plugins, which contains all of most important features of traditional IDE environment and additionally I don't need to resign with VIM advantages like speed and flexibility.

Using that VIM as IDE configuration I comfortably work with following programming languages on the daily basis:
  • C/C++
  • Java
  • Python
  • Bash
  • JavaScript
  • HTML
  • CSS
My VIM as IDE configuration is publically available in github. You can clone it from here:
git clone https://github.com/xmementoit/vim-ide
It is under continous development so you can expect adding new features in the future.

Video presentation of main features of my VIM as IDE environment can be found on youtube:


I am aware that starting with big VIM as IDE configuration can be difficult at the beginning. Therefore, before you will use VIM as IDE extensively, I strongly recommend to learn VIM basics before. Especially, I encourage to spend some time with this Learn VIM Progressively tutorial

Good luck with your VIM adventure !!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GDB Automatic Deadlock Detector

Have you ever had a problem with detection deadlock between threads in your C/C++ application? Would you like to do that automatically? Try this GDB Automatic Deadlock Detector from my github: GDB Automatic Deadlock Detector Picture source: http://csunplugged.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/deadlock.jpg1286488735

C++ Multithreading - Race conditions

In the previous C++ Multithreading article I presented you how to pass parameters between threads. Take a detail look on the output of that example once again: In the first line of that output you can notice that output text from two threads is mixed. You are probably wondering why it happens? It is because we are not protecting resources which are shared by two threads (in this example cout stream is shared in both threads) which causes multithreading's phenomenon called race condition . Because threads switching and accessing to shared resources are managed by operating system we do not know when std::cout stream will be accessed by main thread and when it will be accessed by second thread. Therefore in the previous article I mentioned that output of the example can be little different on your computer than my output example. What's more it is possible that this output will be different for few consecutive invoking of the example on the same machine. It is beca...

Blog's new layout

As you noticed this blog has new layout from today. I hope you like it. I think new layout looks better and more modern than previous one. Please, write you opinion about new layout in comments. If you have some ideas how to make this blog better, all ideas are welcomed. Enjoy new layout and blog articles.